Saturday, December 13, 2014

The greatest love affair

Posted by Rachel

As I have mentioned in other posts, a book on singleness has been something God has set on Laura and I's hearts for many years.  As a result of that dream we both have many articles on the subject lying around the desk top of our computers we have been writing for years.  We have even shared many of our writings with each other to critique and kick-start the process of writing.  They cover topics from weddings, to church, to sex, to ivory tours, etc.  I was reading through a compilation of many of my articles today that I had given to Laura at some point over the last 2 years and though many things stood out to me (from the fact that the blogging world isn't ready for most of my thoughts, to my writing overall needs a lot of editing) one of my articles really stood out to me because it was about my relationship with Jesus.

I know it was me writing but the way I talked about my relationship with Jesus in this snippet made me smile and get excited all over again about how in love with my Savior I am.  I became a believer when I was 5, so I have never really known life without Jesus.  Because of this sometimes(and by sometimes, unfortunately I probably mean 90% of the time) I take that relationship for granted.  This makes me sad because my relationship with Jesus is the most important relationship in my life.  I guess it goes back to the idea that those that know you and love you the most you often hurt the easiest and take for granted that they will always love and care for you.

Honestly, this makes my heart break.  My Savior is everything to me so when I realize how flippant I am with the incredible relationship I have with him, I want to mourn the loss of time with him.  I often think about Mary and Martha in the Bible.  Martha went to Jesus to complain that Mary wasn't helping with any of the work to make the meal, but Jesus' response was that Mary had chosen what was better, she had chosen to sit at the feet of Jesus, gaze upon him and listen with everything in her because she understood in that moment that Jesus was the most important relationship in her life.  She was going to invest no matter what.

I love Mary, only because I am Martha.  I love to serve, to do things for my Savior because I love to serve, but I long to sit at my saviors feet and gaze and listen.  I want to be David writing Psalms, called a man after God's own heart because David understood the power of time with his King.  That is my ultimate goal in life, to sit at my Saviors feet and gaze into his face as he speaks.  No matter where God takes me single, married, kids, no kids, in life and death to sit and gaze and listen intently to my Savior, my King.

This my friends, is the greatest Love affair of all time.

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment