Thursday, December 25, 2014

I don't have a plan, do you?

Posted by Rachel

I love story.  Story can consumes me.  As an adult, I have had to discontinue reading the books I love because I can't put the story down until I know how it ends.  I love televisions shows because they have ongoing story.  I love movies because they can speak truth about a particular story in a particular moment in time. 
One of our favorite TV shows for a while was Friends, the story of six friends from their mid-20's to their mid-30's and how they cope with life together during those years.  How they live, love, fight and grow together during those years.  Its a comedy but in the middle of the humor is serious truth about life.  

Four to five episodes into the series, there is an episode where Rachel who hadn't worked a day in her life before this show started gets her very first pay check as a waitress and realizes how hard it is to live on it.  She goes into this deep slump of frustration and brings her two girlfriends into it with her.  In this scene Rachel looks at Phoebe, who has been working since her early teens, and asks her "Phoebe, do you have a plan for your life?" and Phoebe in a humorous and tearful moment responds with, "I don't even have a Pl"(Pronounced pla).

We have taken this on and said this to each other over the years. In moments of frustration about our lives after the rant, we look at each other and say "I don't even have a PL," and then smile at each other knowing we can continue, even without the plan. 

I feel like the last five years I have said this a lot. As we face Christmas and the New Year it is yet again the time to think over the last year and contemplate the new.  How have I changed, how is my life different, what do I want to be different next year.  Each year I feel like nothing has changed, I'm still in the same spot, I'm still single, I still work at a job, unsettled in a career, I still dream like I am 13 and sometimes act like it too, still answering the same old questions the relatives ask year after year.  

But then I take another good look and realize a lot has changed.  I have changed more than I can imagine.  And even though I still don't really have a "PL" for my life, God knows the plans he has for me. 

So this year I choose to speak truth over my life and courageously act upon it.  I choose to love deeper.  I choose to give more of myself.  I choose to continue to smile and say hello to strangers in the grocery store.  I choose to read more.  I choose to seek more counsel.  I choose to love making phone calls.  I choose to grow.  I choose to submit myself, to God, to wise leaders and to others that care.  I choose to live my story and not just dream about it.  I choose to fail sometimes, but always try again.  I choose to humble myself to allow God to work HIS great PLAN in my life, because even though I don't have a PL for my life, God does.  He has a Plan and He has the Story set out for me. 

Merry Christmas everyone, Christ is Born, that I may have life and LIVE it abundantly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment