Friday, December 5, 2014

Singleness Blogs

Post by Rachel

I know we haven't broached the subject of dating too much  yet and I think its because its vastly overdone by anyone who writes anything on being single. As I was thinking about this subject, I was curious about what people were writing about who had blogs similar to ours, with the focus being on singleness and what I found was actually kind of boring.

First of all, blogs on singleness are vastly underdone.  I think I found a grand total about about 10 blogs(including ours) that were actually written on the subject of singleness.  Secondly, all the posts I read were primarily in diary form.  "Today I went to the store, talked to this boy and then came home to my lonely house were I cooked dinner and watched television while sitting all by my lonesome on the couch with no one to snuggle with.  Oh and in case you don't know I'm still single, what is wrong with all the people of the world and what is wrong with me?!?"

BOOORRRRIINNGGG!!!

No offense intended, but unless your days are actually different then mine, like your trying different restaurants and reviewing them or your microwave caught on fire(wait, that's been done), I really don't care.

Third, they complained about the fact that they were single, nothing had changed over a long period and their life was basically on hold until they found Mr. or Mrs. Right.  The blog was an outlet to complain about the fact that they were single and to bring anyone who reads it down with them, if they were miserable everyone else should be too.  None of that was said explicitly, but every blog I found had these basic ingredients.

Now here's the deal, I really want to get married, however, my life is not on pause until I find the man I'm going to marry, nor will I allow my life to be boring or negative until the supposed starting gun of life goes off when I say "I do".  As you know by now if you have been reading this blog at all, that we all love being single and we obviously feel its a subject that should be discussed so we started writing, but this is the first post where dating has been more of a central topic.

In response to those other blogs this is what I have to say.  I get it!! I want to date, I want to have someone I can snuggle with, go on trips with, go to parties with and not feel like the odd ball out and do all those other couply things with.  I totally get it!  I get that sometimes you have to tell the mundane story of your day to someone because you just need to get it out.  And I totally understand that sometimes you wonder what is wrong with every man(or woman) in the world that you are still single or you become self deprecating and wonder what is wrong with me.  I totally 100% absolutely understand!  I have said and felt all those things.

However, there is so much more to say than those boring mundane things.  Like what was the fun part of the holiday party as a single.  Or you had the opportunity to do something great because you didn't have to coordinate husband and/or kids schedules to do it.  You could get into your car and drive 1000 miles on whim cause who cares if you do.  Or even better is how has God blessed this part of your life that if you were to get married tomorrow would no longer be true.  How are you becoming the person that God wants you to be?  How have you served others well without being married?  And an infinite number of other questions.  Honestly, that's what I want to read about.

We hope and pray that this blog would be a ministry of God, not for our will to be served, but so that the glory of our God the king would be known through what we do and say here.  A place to be real and open and vulnerable about the pain of this stage of life and hopefully more often a place to express the joys of this stage of life.  There are so many joys!    No matter what stage of life you are in, go reflect on the joys and blessings, on whether God's glory is known in your life.  Its easier to think of the hardships and negative things, but that's no way to live.  Enjoy each moment and praise God for whatever stage you are in!

And don't drag other people down with you, nobody wants that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment