Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Don't Miss an Opportunity

Posted by Sarah

Each week I have the amazing privilege to spend at least one evening with my awesome niece and nephews. It’s been so fun to be part of their lives – to play with them, love on them, and pray with them. They mean the world to me!

Last week I had the opportunity to instill some wisdom for the future and I pray to God that it sticks. In a surprise blast from the past Ellie decided we should play with her old school Barbie Dolls. It was so fun to experience this with them. I loved playing with Barbie’s as a kid.

After a while, Ellie went off to set up “house” and Noah and I were left at the doorway to Ellie’s room. He is seven and pretty small for his age, so the two of us fit nicely in the door frame facing each other, our crisscrossed knees comfortably overlapped and each brushing our respective Barbie’s hair – you know, just a normal Tuesday! It was at this point I felt the opportunity knocking.

I hesitated…not sure how to share what I had on my mind with a seven year old, but I had to try.

It played out like this:
Me: Hey, Noah
Noah: What
Me: Can I tell you something I want you to remember when you are older?
Noah: Okay
(I know I have his full, undivided attention at this point – the Barbie and brush laid aside)
Me: Noah, when you’re older, I want you to remember that real girls are not supposed to look like this (I point to the laid aside Barbie)
Noah: What?
Me: It’s okay Buddy, you may not understand right now, but I want you to try to remember when your older that real girls don’t look like this doll and they aren't supposed to, no matter what you see around you. Will you try to remember that?
Noah: (No hesitation) I’ll remember, Aunt Sarah!

It may not seem like a significant conversation, but I truly believe that is was. I have nothing against Barbie but I think there are so many subtle images and ways of thinking that we, as a culture, buy into as truth without conscious thought. They penetrate how we view the world and I wanted to make sure to plant a seed that it doesn't have to be the only way we view the world.

As someone who has struggled with body image and buying into the lies that culture dictates I believe about myself, I was honored to have a small part of changing that for Noah and those he will influence. It may seem a very small part but eventually those small parts can add up and change the world.


So, don’t miss the “small” opportunities that present themselves each and every day to influence the world for the better. It may come when you least expect it, even brushing a Barbie Doll’s hair with your nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment