Saturday, February 14, 2015

Love On!

Posted by Sarah

It’s Valentine’s Day! The day of love. The day when the single population takes a collective, depressing sigh. It’s Hallmarks favorite holiday and the least favorite of anyone who has experienced heartbreak or loss.

The internet is buzzing this Valentine’s Day: Bloggers and commentators are weighing the virtue – or lack thereof – of the newest horror film out just in time for the holiday (aka: 50 Shades of Grey), there are countless articles on how to ramp up your love/sex life, every couple on Facebook is posting pictures of dinners out and beautiful bouquets of roses, and a large c contingency of single people are gathering in honor of S.A.D. - Singles Awareness Day – the title speaks for itself. And that is just the beginning.

I’ll pause here to remind you how much I love holidays and celebrating. Each one holds special (and some hard) memories. Any reason to celebrate is a good one and any chance to gather with family and/or friends is A-OK in my book. And while I admit that this holiday is a little more difficult than some (as anyone whose waited all day to see if their crush will, in fact, acknowledge them can attest), it’s still a holiday and, therefore, a good day.

In fact, my biggest beef with Valentine’s Day isn't the day itself but how sexual it has become. Why does the one day we purposefully celebrate love have to be about sex - it’s sad really. What a better place this world would be if we took this day to celebrate love in all its forms – to intentionally tell the people in our lives how much we love, value and appreciate them. For example, yesterday I got a surprise visit from a dear friend and her son with a note reminding me that they love me. It made my whole day.


This year for Valentine’s Day I am not sitting around in the muck that is my relationship status on Facebook, I am having a girl’s day with my 5 year old niece, Ellie. And honestly, I can’t think of a better way to spend my holiday then being with my sweet girl.


Someday I look forward to being married and celebrating love with the one God has for me – but my life isn't on hold until then.

Love is going to get the heck celebrated out of it this year!


So go do something fun with someone you love today, whether it be your husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, mom/dad, grandparent, dog, your bestie or your niece! Love On!

No comments:

Post a Comment